This is an experimental project of porting encfs to the Windows world.
Here you can find the
Currently based on
The project is cross compiled with MingW or Visual C++. There is a ReadMe_Windows.txt file
with information on how to compile with Visual C++.
I use it mostly with Dropbox.
encfs.zip (md5 e2ea05ac92f195c32a82ab79066ff333). File is quite large as
it's a static binary (all libraries are included in the executable).
I'm quite sure executable has no virus (I use Linux :) ) but please check md5!
- install required Dokan library;
- Extract executable (or compile by your own).
Using GUI instead of command line
- open a windows command
- launch "encfs
<crypt_dir> <plain_dir>" where crypt_dir
is crypted directory while plain_dir
is the directory where you can access not crypted files.
NOTE: Windows 7 users should use a drive (like "X:") as
plain_dir to avoid case sensitive problems which results in file/folder
not found problems.
You can also use Ronald Moegel batch included.
- launch the gui program and use the tray icon menu
Some people asked if is possible to change label of drive. This is actually possible using the volname FUSE option, specifying something
like encfs <crypt_dir> <plain_dir> -- -o volname=<label>
- 2013-02-18 No changes but currently compile under Visual C++. Hoping somebody could contribute easier.
- 2012-04-01 GUI: add option to disable automatic open
- 2012-04-01 GUI: add preference dialog
- 2012-03-18 No-ASCII password under console now works
- 2012-03-17 Launching GUI again allow unmounting all drives
- 2012-03-17 Password can now be specified using no-ASCII characters (at least in GUI)
- 2012-03-17 GUI part now uses wide characters to support more characters set
- 2011-11-01 Accept UNC as absolute paths
- 2011-11-01 Fix very long encrypted file names
- 2011-07-07 Do not crash if Dokan is not installed or found
- 2011-07-01 Fix encoding problem with no-encrypted filenames
- 2011-05-26 Fix a possible buffer overflow
- 2011-05-18 Fix problem renaming to already present files/directories
- 2011-05-13 Fix encoding if wrong renaming file
- 2011-05-12 Fix a problem copying files with Robocopy
- 2011-05-11 Rewrote utf8 conversion to support full Unicode.
NOTE: this can cause compatibility problems, keep old version and backup & restore if needed.
- 2011-05-10 Minor GUI improvement
- 2011-05-08 Add small GUI utility similar to cryptkeeper
- 2011-04-29 Make drive removable to avoid permission problem
- 2011-04-28 Allow changing time to directories
- 2011-04-19 Create a dll to share code
- 2011-04-19 Updated Boost version to fix a small compatibility problem
- 2011-04-18 Updated usage output
- 2011-04-16 Added batch from Ronald Moegel to help mount/unmount your drive
- 2011-04-16 Minor fixes for volume informations
- 2011-03-29 Fixes for Windows 7
- 2011-02-25 Added encfsctl
- 2011-02-23 Update encfs to 1.7.4 and OpenSSL to 1.0.0d
- 2011-02-23 Fixed huge files timeout using sparse files and holes
- 2011-02-22 Support for file greater than 2GB
- 2011-02-22 Windows attributes
- 2011-02-22 Fix setting time
Limits and TODO
- symbolic links are not supported
- use DLLs for OpenSSL
- more options for directory creation on gui
- BUG: using remote drive as crypted folder excel seems to have problem saving
- CHECK if mount point with no-ascii work (probably not)
Ronald Moegel for testing and hints.
EncFsPlus Ruszlan (the author) ask me to post the link to its alternate GUI version. I don't know him and I didn't checked the code in any way (currently I even didn't run it) but if you want to try feel free. It's written in AutoHotKey. See the readme.
Somebody request me this button and here you are